- We begin today with WOLF PACK PRIDE!! Congratulations to 8th graders Rachel C. and Rachel M. whose hockey team, the NOVA Ice Dogs, advanced to the 2017 USA Hockey National Championships in Troy, Michigan last month. It was the Ice Dog’s first very first tournament appearance, and they were the ONLY qualifiers from this region.
They played against the very best competition from all over America — and finished 5th in the nation! What an incredible accomplishment! Way to go, hockey wolves!! [clap]
- And a few more kudos this morning: Some 2-dozen WMS 7th and 8th graders competed in the Virginia Junior Academy of Science last week at VCU. Participants wrote papers and presented their experiments to a panel of top scientists and professors — and they brought home some major hardware!
- Receiving Honorable Mention were — Hayley K. and Delia C.; Anna W., Jocelyn L.R., and Colin B.
- In 3rd Place — Avery D., Margaret R., and William G.
- 2nd Place went to — Jack E.
- And taking 1st Place — Grant H. and Noah P.
- Congratulations to all our winners, and big props to all of our VJAS participants for their hard work and dedication. Way to go, science wolves!! [clap]
- The SOLs continue today with make-up testing for the 7th and 8th grade Reading Exam. Students taking the test should report to the Library following TA. Remember to bring a pencil, a book to read, and earbuds ONLY if you have an approved audio accommodation for the test. No bags, electronics, water or snacks will be allowed. And for all those students who are NOT testing today — please remember to be quiet and respectful in the halls. Good luck on the test!!
- The library will remain closed during SOL testing, but students can still get books by clicking on the “Book Checkout Request” tab in the “Library” section of the WMS website. The book will then be delivered to your TA as soon as it’s available. Also, please be sure to return your books to the library carts located in the front lobby and by the cafeteria. Reading rocks!
- Hey, 7th grade! How would you like to attend one of the top-10 High Schools in the country? Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology will be hosting an informational session TODAY at 10:30 a.m. in the auditorium. TJ officials will be on hand to explain the admissions process, and any other questions you may have about the school. Interested students should sign-up in the main office, or see Mr. Tuttle with any questions.
- Calling all Cheerleaders! Be sure to return your uniforms THIS WEEK during TA or in PE. See Ms. Sutphin with any questions.
- And here’s a special opportunity for rising 8th and 9th graders. The Yorktown Color Guard is hosting Open House Rehearsals this week for all interested students — TUESDAY from 3:15 to 4:30 and THURSDAY from 6 to 8 p.m. in room 174. The Color Guard combines music, dance, flag and sabre spinning in a fast-paced and spirited performance. For more information, go to www.yorktownband.org or contact Mr. Bersh, the Yorktown band director.