- Williamsburg is going to the dogs! We begin today with a special video about “Thunder” — the new WMS therapy dog! Check it out!!
*CLICK HERE* to watch “Thunder the Therapy Dog”
- [1st slide] Good morning students and staff! It’s me, Ms. Boyers, and I’m here today to go over some ground rules for interacting with THUNDER – the WMS therapy dog!
[2rd slide] I know that it’s exciting to have a dog in the building, but it’s important to follow four simple steps every time you greet him: Approach, Ask, Pet, Goodbye.
[3rd slide] Approach… Thunder will often be in the halls during the day, outside at recess, or in my office. When you see him, be sure to approach him slowly and calmly, ESPECIALLY at recess. We don’t want to startle or frighten him, right? No more than THREE people may greet him at a time – so please wait your turn. Again, approach slowly and calmly.
[4th slide] Ask… Every time you greet Thunder you MUSt ask my permission, and then wait for my response. Even if you’re waiting in line to see him, you must ask when it’s your turn. This is a good habit to get into when greeting any animal.
[5th slide] Pet… When it is your turn to greet Thunder, first offer him a closed hand to let him sniff you. This is how dogs get to know people. Then pet him under the chin. This is good practice with all dogs.
[6th slide] And finally, Good-bye… Everyone wants a turn, so please say your “hellos” and then keep it moving. You can always see him again later. Also, it’s a good idea to wash your hands after petting Thunder. He is a dog, after all!
[7th slide] A few other considerations to remember… Thunder loves coming to school but it is work for him. We’ll start with just one visit a week, but hopefully he’ll come more often as the year goes along. If you have allergies or feel uncomfortable around dogs, don’t worry! No one is required to be around him.
If you’d like to schedule a meeting with Thunder, the sign-up sheet is on my door in the Main Office. But you MUST have your teacher’s permission before coming. Thunder can also make classroom visits to help calm nerves during testing – just have your TA sign-up on the online Google Form.
If you – or your parents – have any other questions or concerns about our therapy dog, I encourage you to come see me in my office or send an email. Remember everybody: Approach, Ask, Pet, Goodbye. Thunder and I look forward to working with you!
- Thanks, Ms. Boyers! And I can’t wait to meet Thunder soon! And now, back to the news. Calling all math-lovers! Math Counts meets TODAY during lunch and after school. The lunch meetings are: 6th grade in room 203; 7th grade in room 134; and 8th grade in room WW3. The after school club will meet in room WW4. Hooray for Math!!
- Tweet, Tweet, Williamsburg! WMS students are invited to join a new after school “Bird Club!” If you love nature — this club will have you “flying high.” Get it?! The bi-weekly meetings start this TODAY during ASP 1 in room 112. Please see Ms. Araya to sign-up, or with any questions.
- The Model UN meeting has been CANCELLED for today. But participants in the upcoming Model UN conferences have an important assignment — Ms. Carlson says to go to the Model UN Google Classroom to get instructions for your Position Papers, and the Password to get into the GW BACKGROUND Guides. You should also complete your applications — ASAP!! Meetings will resume next week.
- Today’s LEO CLUB meeting will be in the CAFETERIA — to hear a special guest speaker for Veterans’ Day. LEOs will also be making “Thank You” cards for vets at a local nursing home. GO LEOS !!
- The first official meeting of the Teen Trendsetters Club will be next TUESDAY during ASP 1 in room WW18. Come and make a difference in the life of a struggling reader at Discovery Elementary School!
- Attention 8th graders! Yorktown High School’s award-winning “Winter Colorguard” is seeking new members for the upcoming season. There will be an interest meeting TODAY from 3:15 to 3:45 in the Yorktown choir room, number 188 — and an open house at Yorktown next Tuesday and Friday evening in room 183. Contact Mr. Bersh at YHS for more information, or go to yorktownband.org. Take a look!!