- Up first, we welcome Ms. Flynn from the Counseling Department — with a special announcement about “Red Ribbon Week!”
- Good morning, Wolves! I’m Ms. Flynn, and today I’d like to tell you about a national campaign that our school is participating in this year. It’s called “Red Ribbon Week. Substance abuse is a MAJOR issue in America – not just with adults, but KIDS, too! So Red Ribbon Week raises awareness about drugs, alcohol and tobacco – and teaches you strategies to remain drug free. And in fact, that is this year’s slogan: “YOLO: BE DRUG FREE!” We’ll be talking more about this campaign all week. So once again — YOLO: Be Drug Free!!
- Thanks, Ms. Flynn. Back to the announcements: The annual FUNdraiser for the Williamsburg PTA is ON! All donations will benefit YOU — the WMS students — with everything from pizza parties, TA breakfasts, school dances, Wolf PAW drawings, graduation, and more!! PLUS — if your parents donate in the next FOUR WEEKS, you’ll be entered into the “Donut Hero” drawing. The winning ticket will receive a donut breakfast delivered to everyone in your TA — and your parents will win a gift card to a local business. So the whole family wins!
Just tell your parents to CLICK on the “WMS PTA” link on the WMS homepage, then select “No Frills Fundraiser” to make a donation. Thanks for supporting the PTA — and good luck in the drawing!!
- There will be a MANDATORY meeting for new SCA officers TODAY during ASP 1 in room 205. Please see Mr. Peacock with any questions.
- Boys Ultimate Frisbee begins TODAY! 6th, 7th and 8th graders are all encouraged to join. Interested athletes are asked to sign up on the activity board by the cafeteria — and you do NOT need a physical to play. Please see Mr. Smo, Mr. Witte, or Mr. Clark for more information.
- Dribble, pass, shoot, SCORE!! Girls soccer tryouts are this week: 6th graders TODAY, 7th graders on TUESDAY, and 8th graders on THURSDAY.!! Interested athletes should sign-up on the activity board by the cafeteria — and you must have a physical on file to participate. Please see Coach Girard with any questions.
- Need help with Spanish? The Yorktown tutors are back! TOMORROW in room WW11 during ASP 2. Please see your Spanish teacher to sign up. Get the extra practice you need to succeed. Hasta Pronto!
- The Leo Club’s Annual Coat Drive for the Homeless is up and running! Collection boxes are located in the library, and students are encouraged donate new or gently-used coats, scarves, gloves and socks. YOUR HELP can make all the difference to a person-in-need this winter!!
- Calling all 7th and 8th graders! Discovery Elementary School is searching for ROLE MODELS to help mentor 1st and 2nd graders this year. Interested students are encouraged to join “Teen Trendsetters” — a new club that can really make a difference in the life of a child. There will be an informational meeting next TUESDAY during ASP 1 in room WW-18. Please see Ms. Clayton with any questions.
- Discovery Elementary School will be hosting “PumpkinFest” on Sunday, October 30th from 12 to 4PM. There will be a parade, pumpkin carving contest, dunk tank, moon bounce, food trucks and a ton of games. But they need YOUR HELP! Discovery needs middle school VOLUNTEERS to help make PumpkinFest a success. Interested students are encouraged to sign-up in the main office.
- The WMS Model UN team took home a SLEW of awards at the McLean and Holton-Arms Conferences this weekend! Congratulations to Owen B. Colin B. and John F. for winning a trio of Best Delegates awards; to Jack P. for being named Outstanding Delegate; Olympia E. and Matias C. got Honorable Mentions; and Kylie O. and Nora O. received Verbal Commendations. Way to go, UN Wolves!
- And now, we have ANOTHER guest to the show: please welcome our Assistant Principal, Ms. McCarthy!
- Hello, everyone! I’m Ms. McCarthy, and on behalf of Mr. Laurie, Mr. Hicks, and Ms. Rowden – WE NEED YOUR HELP! Halloween is just a week away, and we have no idea what costumes we’re going to wear! So maybe YOU could help us out. We’re challenging you students to come up with costumes for the Admin Team. Just submit your idea to the “Costume Idea Box” in the Main Office by WEDNESDAY at 3 P.M. Make sure that your idea is suitable for FOUR people – 2 males and 2 females. Thanks for your help, wolves, and Happy Halloween!