- It’s the beginning of the end! Today marks the first day of the 2nd semester here at WMS. 7th and 8th graders taking semester-long electives are reminded that your NEW classes begins TODAY, so be sure to check your schedule in StudentVue or see your counselor for more information. And to everyone — let’s get off to a good start, wolves!!
- Attention 6th and 7th graders! Believe it or not, but it’s already time to sign-up for next year’s classes! Course Request Forms — the CRFs — must be turned-in to your counselor by next FRIDAY at the latest. If you miss the deadline, you could get stuck with a class that you don’t really want. So stop procrastinating and complete your CRF! See you grade-level counselor with any questions.
- Stop the presses!! WOLF-TV is recruiting new journalism students for next year! 7th graders in New Media Journalism will be high-tech student-reporters; while 8th graders in Broadcast Journalism will run the school TV station, produce the Morning Announcements, and create their own original segments. Sign up TODAY, or see Mr. Schonfeld for more information.
- And there’s also some incredible classes at Yorktown for our outgoing 8th graders to consider. The YHS counselors will be visiting our school today to discuss your options. So 8th graders LISTEN UP! Here’s what you need to do: when it’s time for your English class, please go DIRECTLY to the WMS Library for the YHS presentation. Again, 8th graders should go straight to the Library for English class. Your high school adventure begins today!
- Calling all actors, singers and dancers! Auditions for the WMS Spring Musical — Beauty and the Beast, Jr. — will be held TODAY and TUESDAY during ASP 1 and 2 in the auditorium. In addition, there will be a sign-up for Backstage Crew — all those technical jobs “behind-the-scenes” that help bring the show to life. See Mr. Brown with any questions or for more information. Good luck, thespian wolves!!
- Batter up! The Yorktown High School Softball Team is inviting 8th grade girls to try out for its upcoming spring season. Tryouts are scheduled to begin on Monday, February 19th — which is a school holiday — from 11:45 to 2:30 on the YHS softball and turf fields. Interested student-athletes should sign-up on the Activity Board by the cafeteria, or see Ms. Sutphin for more information.
- And now for an important message from our school librarians. Last week, TA teachers distributed OVERDUE NOTICES for more than 600 overdue books. Students are asked to PLEASE return your books to either the library or the book cart by the cafeteria. And remember — if you have 3 or more overdues, you will NOT be permitted to check-out any additional titles until they’ve been returned. So check your backpack, your locker, your classrooms, and under your bed at home, and BRING IN YOUR BOOKS!!!
- The WMS Earth Club will be holding a Bake Sale on FRIDAY after school — where you can get a sweet treat for just 2-bucks. All money raised will benefit the World Wildlife Fund — and its mission to protect endangered species. It’s good eats for a good cause at the Earth Club bake sale!
- Who wants Pizza? The WMS Model UN Club will be having a pizza fundraiser on FRIDAY after school in the Main Lobby and by the Cafeteria. It’s just 2-dollars for a slice and cookie! All proceeds will go to support upcoming MUNner competitions. Pizza, Pizza!!
- And now for a “Transportation Tip” about riding the bus. If you’re ever planning to take a bus that’s not your own — like if you’re going to a friend’s house after school — you MUST bring a note from home to the main office NO LATER than your grade level lunch. Again, do NOT wait until the end of the day to get a bus pass — because there isn’t time and you’ll miss the bus! See Ms. Argenal in the office with any questions.
- And finally today, it’s time for WOLF PACK PRIDE! The WMS Art Department “cleaned up” at this year’s Scholastic Art Competition. TWENTY students were recognized for their incredible art projects.And the winners are, with Honorable Mention:
–and Anand T.
With a Silver Key Award:
–and Hannah M. and Abby F. with TWO Silver placings each.
And finally, with a Gold Key Award:
–and Quinn C.
All of the winners’ artwork will be on public display at the APS Central Library. Congratulations to all of our participants. Way to go, artistic wolves!! [clap]